Mobility data: How does it help build Smartcities?
Every day we move forward towards technological improvements which intend to simplify people’s lives. Smart City is a concept which is a product for the need of innovation to simplify the lives of citizens and administration. The concept of a smart city has been going around for a while now, it is a step forward towards the future of the world envisioned.
One might wonder what are some important factors that make a city smart?
When we talk about India, what’s more worthy of talking about than the transportation/mobility infrastructure i.e. that industry that supports the largest workforce in the world get to work? So what’s mobility data?
Mobility data is the input generated from public transit agencies and private mobility solution providers through the help of sensors which helps in creating maximum value for the citizens!
How does it help the government and people?
· Cities can lock in an incremental growth of almost 3% and drive more than $20 trillion in additional economic benefits by 2026.
· Security can be enhanced by improving transit monitoring. This helps not only designing but also monitoring routes, which makes it transparent and easier for the government.
· Government can monitor the health of transportation infrastructure like bridges and avoid future accidents.
· Existing regulations can be enforced while paving a way for improving them to make the process more seamless. Easy to catch violations and collect toll taxes!
· People can save time with access to real time arrival and departure of public transit, traffic congestion, and alternative route suggestions.
· Public transit is more convenient, thus promoting it and helping in reducing the need of private transportation as public transport can be an inexpensive alternative with high convenience.
· Access to real time parking slot information can help reduce parking congestion.
· Delivery vehicles can be more efficient. The best time slots and routes can be identified, and traffic/parking rules during major events can be adjusted.
· City administrators can design and maintain routes more efficiently thus contributing to public transit and mobility infrastructure.
Thus, mobility data provides access to a smarter life fueled on information collected by consumers to help make a better and sustainable future!